Thursday 11 January 2007

Who's Da Man?

Who's the man? *Points at myself* I'M THE MAN! Let's hear all y'all say it again!!! Who's the man? *Cups my ears and waits for an answer* Yea that's right peoples!

NICK IS THE MAN!!! YES YES YES!!!

Yep, I am. No question about that. Yesterday, which was wednesday. I went for basketball trials. I thought I almost could not make it. But PHEW, thank god. We were divided into four groups which will take turns playing against each other. Since my group had six people and basketball plays only 5v5, (no duh) I sat out the first part of the match and I let the other guy play. (Weez, I'm such a nice guy eh?) By the time I was on, I think, 7 people already got their names down on the list. I was so damn nervous. I mean. Like, what if I didn't make it? What will happen then? Was I really the weakest in the school? Sad to say, I didn't get to touch the ball much when I was on. I did once. And I was on a fast break. With two defenders behind. But they were too far to catch up. However. I BLEW THE STUPID LAY-UP!!! Nooooo! I was done for. I couldn't even complete a simple lay up. Bye bye Basketball team.

And a deep rumbling ran through Nick's body. Adrenaline started to pump through his blood. Seconds went by, and Nick felt a sudden surge of energy running through every part of his body. He felt totally psyched and amped. I know I am going to do it, he says. With raw determination, Nick took to the court again.

A ball came at him, passed by his team mate. Nick was suddenly out in front with only one defender in front of him. Gritting his teeth, Nick wanted to do this right. Show them once and for all, he was not to be trifled with. Basketball was his game. His life. His story. No one, and he means NO ONE will stop him. Without hesitation, Nick approached his defender. With one step, he took the ball behind his back and within another step, got the ball to his left and to the front of him. At the same time, beating his defender. With a sudden rush of speed, Nick blitz towards the basket and took off into the air. With a flick of his wrist, the ball landed on the backboard and into the rim with a soft
swish of the net. And the crowd grew wild! Applause and shouts came from the grandstand from those who watched!

With raw grit, Nick locked on his offensive player. He swiped at the ball of his defender and popped out it came. He rushed towards the basket. Two defenders were right in front of him. His team-mates was behind him and he couldn't pass. Without pausing to think, Nick put on his speed. WOoooosh. He flashed past in between the defenders. Leaving them in a trail of dust and left for an easy lay-up. Once again the crowd became wild. They loved him!

Yep, that was almost like how I played it. And finally! My name was down in their list! Woohoo! Showed them some skills and the loved it! What can I say? They love me! Hee hee. But noo, Nick you must be humble. And Humble bumble I will be. Tomorrow there'll be another trial for those who got past the first trial. There were 15 of us and my guess is that they are going to drop 5. I really do hope I can get in! Wish me luck mah mates! So now, I gotta rest. Meditate. Visualise yourself Nick...

And he dances around the court. His feet a blur. Leaving defenders and players stunned...

No comments: