Monday 12 January 2009

Great Grandma

Went over to a caring home for the elderly yesterday night to visit my great grandma.

What can I say, the whole place looks pretty desolate. I don't see too much happy faces. Then again, these old people probably aren't too happy being there. I mean, if you have family to take care of you, why do you need to be at a caring home right?

Heard from my mum that when GG was first brought over to the home, she didn't fare too well and was seemed really reluctant to be brought to a home. After that, her condition worsened and had to be brought back to the hospital again to stabilise her condition.

I'm pretty sure she can hear what is being said around her. I don't get it. When we go see her. Everyone acts as if she is unable to hear her. Uncles and Aunts all speak in soft voices when they discuss about what to do with her. Actually, right now, she's fine enough to be brought back home, except that she probably needs more attention and care. BUT, despite the numerous children and grandchildren and nephews and nieces that she has, there doesn't seem to be ANYONE who wants to take the initiative to take up that responsibility. And it's not as if they CANNOT. I've been to their place before! Every year! They're all more than financially capable of taking care of her. Maybe they don't have the time? Perhaps, but with THAT many (I count at least 50?) children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews not even ONE can look after her?

Tsk tsk.

OK, you might say that I might be talking too much and why doesn't MY family take care of her. We will! When we move to Yishun in March, I'm sure if the circumstances are right, and Dad has earns some expenses from renting out rooms, we will definitely look after her. Yea we will.

It's just pretty sad to see an old lady of 102 years old, (Yes! ONE-HUNDRED-TWO!) lying in a bed the whole time in a caring home and not a home of her own, surrounded by loved ones. And this lady has left a family that spans FIVE generations. That's ONE BIG FAMILY I assure you. I bet YOUR family tree isn't as long as mine! Show it to me if you do. And I'll... I'll pierce a ring in my ding-a-ling-ling!

So yea, I really really hope that Great Grandma gets well soon! It'll be great just to see her up and walking again with that wrinkly smile on her face!



Force be with you Great Grandma.

No comments: