Sunday 17 July 2011

Catch-Up

Wow, things at work sure is getting exciting.

As y'all know, I'm working at an IT shop, House of Mouse for the past month, (been working there right before enlisting too) and it's a pretty alright place to be working at if you're interested in IT related things. Plenty of things to learn about too. Get to handle working with customers and get to admire the one or two hot chicks that come by once in a while. And of course, the people that I'm working with are... Alright I suppose.

There used to be a really nice lady who apparently got fired (rumours, hearsay) by the boss on the grounds that she started walking all over his head. It is hard to believe that because she really is one of the nicest people I've met. Besides working with us, she is a part timer as an instructor with St John (The Red Cross or something) and often goes on camping trips with schools. Working with her is never boring; she has plenty of stories to share, horror ones I might add. I even used to look forward to going to work the next day! Alas, she was fired by my boss, even though they were the same age. (It all sounded quite childish to me when I heard it from my other colleague.) Anyway, my boss is nice enough, only until recently he started being quite anal.

The first incident where he started getting all naggy (like a woman) on me was when I took out my phone while waiting for the hard disks to format. He whipped his head around upon hearing me click-clacking away on my phone. "You, what are you doing? No smsing or using phone during office hours. Only boss can use. Next time I see I will confiscate it." The way he spoke to me, you would have thought that I was some primary school kid or something. Then after that he went on some rampage by dragging my cousin (who also works there) in and mass sending out texts to us warning us that "repeat offenders will be severely dealt with" and if we so happen to dare try it again, we will "not be needed at work tomorrow". He wasn't like that before.

The second one happened just recently. IMHO, I find it really childish. I was working my shift over at the other branch (there's 2 branches: Suntec and Textile Centre being the main branch) when the lady working at the shop opposite ours (some tour agency) came over and asked whether I could shift the disco laser lights away from their shop cause it was hurting her eyes. I apologised and I turned the thing away from their shop and had it aiming its lasers on the floor near a rival shop (according to our Boss cause they sell similar items). I knew they wouldn't mind cause Hausan (my cousin) told me that they actually wanted it to be shone upon their shop. Somehow this didn't bode well with my Boss who sent me this sms after I left work:

"Who keep turning away my disco laser to point at (shop's name)? How many times must I repeat? We are displaying and selling the product using our electricity or providing free publicity for (shop's name)? Who? Own up."

My god. What was all the big fuss about?? I did not understand his reason. Did it really matter that much? I mean c'mon! So us shining our laser at our rival's shop will somehow inadvertently bolster their sales? Could our sales-boosting-profit-driving-publicity-earning laser beams really do so much damage?

IT'S JUST A FRIGGING PIECE OF MACHINE DISPLAYING DISCO LIGHTS LAR.

Must flip out like a woman meh? Seriously, it's like he's going to have his period (picture those bits and pieces of blood coming outta his d**k or ass. That's guys having their periods) or something.

My day didn't end off any better than that. I bought Subway (best fast food in the world) home only to spill my cup of drink in the bus. I blame the driver, he stepped on the brakes with a little too much gusto. Playing basketball didn't improve my mood either cause the people I played with was crap. I'm the best player in town people. The only thing that calmed me down was when I start playing on my guitar. Can't quite play a song yet, but slowly! It's fun. Wished my parents sent me for lessons when I was younger.

Oh and I signed up for a course did I mention? Certificate in Digital Journalism (comes with a free iPad2!) A little costly but nevertheless, it's all for a good cause. I am sure it will come in handy when I start school in August. The first lesson of the course begins tomorrow night. Every Tuesday and Thursday. I'm quite pumped up about it. (I would have shot myself if I heard me saying that 3 years ago.) Maybe it's cause after 2 years of doing nothing particularly mind boggling, you'd start looking forward to it again. And I hope it stays that way. For once, I am eager and looking forward to learning new things in life. I feel like I have finally found out what I want to do in life and I'm willing to put aside my discomforts and go all out for it. (Finally Nick!)

Haha so wish me the best. I don't want to live my life the way I did before; being comfortable with just doing what is sufficient. Nuh uh, not anymore I won't. I see what it is that I want, and grab it I will.

Oh and while I'm going on about this, I must mention someone.

My dad.

He's never been the vocal one in showing his love for his children, but what he lacks in this, he makes it up more than ever in his action alone. (And I guess that's one of the reasons why my mother fell in love with him!) You know how when you're young, whatever your friends have, you must have it too? And you'll go home and beg your parents to get it for you. Yeah same here. I'd come home and whine and beg and whine first to my mum (who'll always tell me off for wanting unpractical things) then to my dad. He'll always tell us no, that he's not going to get it. But eventually, somehow or rather, he'll eat his own words and still get it for us. (Like my digimon!)

And he has never failed to do so up till today.

I was texting him on Viber a few weeks ago and we were talking about my job and school when this is what he told me:

"Hope this part time is not very tough job. Remember I'll support you in whatever way to help you to accomplish your degree. If cannot cope must tell me in future."


"Any difficulty you face in life, your mum and I will be there for you."


Uh, I was pretty surprised to hear that. Like I said before, he has never been the vocal one. It took me a good half an hour of re-reading that particular message before I made myself believe that it was all real. I suppose no one can really appreciate their parents until they grow up. Some people are able to do so earlier in life, while others take a little longer. But whatever the case, parents will always look out for their flesh and blood. They always care. But in different ways that's all.

We just need to open our eyes and hearts a little more.

With that said, I leave you with pictures (only 2 actually) of me when I was in Kukup, Malaysia. I had a really awesome time, if you are a friend of mine on facebook (sounds really sad doesn't it, "facebook friend") you could check out the pictures and videos I posted.

create an avatar
My short lived cowboy days.



making gif
She kindly agreed to be the punching bag for my pent-up frustrations.

No comments: