Sunday 21 August 2011

Serve Me Up a "炒油渔!"

I woke up late this morning for work and immediately informed my boss that I overslept and will be there late. Perhaps not a very "creative" excuse but it was an honest and truthful reason for me turning up late right? That didn't go too well for my boss though.


SMS Conversation

Nick: "Ahh gonna be late! Sorry sorry just woke up."
Boss: "Where are you?"
Nick: "Yishun!"
Boss: "You're not working today?"
(THIS was the most confusing part. So he's implying that I didn't have to work today?)
Nick: "I'm not? Oh I thought I'm working 1130-9 no?"
Boss: "What time is it now?"
Nick: "What am I? Your timekeeper? Why don't you call the Mr LKY and ask him what day it is today too? Err so I'm not supposed to work today?"
Nick: "Uhh so I'm not supposed to be working today?"
Boss: "You reward yourself with a holiday?"
Nick: "Huh what? What holiday? The next ones not till next week what!"
(Presidential elections and me employing army's 'Act blur, live longer')
Boss: "What an attitude!"
Boss: "Send in your august hours."
(Ahh trying to dismiss me and act 一个 boss eh?)
Nick: "Attitude? What're you talking about?? I'm so confused!!"
(Me still trying to act blur.)
Boss: "Since when I told you not to work?"
Boss: "If u are not working today and do not give a proper reason, according to the standard procedure, you have to go."
(Wait whut? 'Standard procedure? There wasn't even a procedure he had in the first place! And 'proper reason?' I gave an honest and truthful answer! Did you want me to lie about something 'proper' to the occasion then?)
Nick: "Since just now lar! "You're not working today?" SEE. And I'm not going. The one who's going is YOU. I QUIT. You didn't fire me, you hear me fool?!"
(Always wanted to do that.)
Boss: "ok."

HAHAHAHA okay sorry that wasn't exactly what happened. Wished it was though. Go out with a bang ya know?


.
.
.
Nick: "Huh what? What holiday?"
(Employing army's "Act blur live longer motto.")
Boss: "What an attitude!"
(Oh guess that didn't work on him.)
Boss: "Send in your august hours."
Nick: "No no wait, I really really don't get it! I really thought I had to work today, but just now you said that I had no work today? So now I'm confused, do I have to work today?"
Boss: "Since when I told you not to work?"
Boss: "If u are not working today and do not give a proper reason, according to the standard procedure, you have to go."
Nick: "But I really did overslept! Ahh I see, okay okay. Well thanks for giving me a job in the first place though. It was good retail experience and I got to see how ugly customers can get. Interesting eyeopener. So long and hope your business booms!"
(Was contemplating about saying something mean, but didn't want to end up being immature like what happened before so I decided not to.)
Boss: "ok."

And there you have it, my boss treated me to a "炒油渔"! I'm not feeling to down about it. Just annoyed that he took my honest answer as an invalid excuse for being late at work. I have a feeling that he'd probably rather me lie to him something about bringing my grandma to the clinic or something. He ought to belong in the NSS, National Society of Sarcasm. If there was one... Kinda confusing when trying to understand him. He could be really nice and friendly one time like he treated me lunch then suddenly he's like this, firing me, making me redundant, obsolete to the company, laying me off, cutting loose ends. Whatever! I've been there for a while already and have been toying with the idea of finding a different job experience anyway. No time better than now!

No comments: