Wednesday 3 September 2008

Rush Hour

Hello earthlings,

I know I haven't posted much since... The stone age, but like, I've been busy with exam preparation. (HEY! I know that look on your face. Seems unbelievable, but believe it.)

Planned a study outing at the library today with my sis. Got up early at half past 8, and got to the library at 9.15. Do note that the library opens at 10, but you should know that Singaporeans are all very studious. (How do you spell that. Studios. Studious. Whatever. You get what I mean.) And especially since its a school holiday, we've got LOADS of "Study Campers" just practically setting out camps, staking their territory early in the morning. I would not be surprised if some of them even came at 8, maybe even setting up tents. And like my cousin would put it: "As if the Great Singapore Sales was on."

How true.

My goodness. So yes, there I was showing my sister, the way of The Study Camper. And let ME, show you The Way too. The Way requires ignorance, persistence, and most importantly of all, Kiasu-ism. Without even one of these three basic elements, one cannot begin. As an initiative, or a Beginner, I will teach you the most basic skill of all. Persistence.

The Art of Persistence:

To persist is the " Continuance of an effect after the cause is removed". Persistence is the foundation of which The Ways of The Study Camper is built on. From Persistence comes Patience which leads to the ultimate skill set, Kiasu-Ism.

A clear goal of the Study Camper is to: Attain a table whatever the cost.

As a camper in training, we must keep that goal in mind throughout the process. To do so, requires persistence. One must persist. Persist in getting up early, especially so during holidays. Persist, persist and WE MUST PERSIST in "booking" a bloody spot in front of the BLOODY GATE. Care not of the cost.

Someone: "Wa lau. Stop pushing me leh."
Initiative: Stares him down - LONG PAUSE - "F__K YOU MAN"
Someone: Backs away in fright. "Sorry sir sorry! I dare not!"

The Art of Ignorance:

"The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed." One of the ultimate aim of being a true Study Camper is to condition oneself to be UNAWARE. Unaware of surroundings, unaware of incessant complaints.

Initiative: Strolls into holding room right up front to the gate where everyone is waiting for the gates to lift.
Everyone: "Wtf? Eh wa l@n. NEH NEH. He tink his ah gong buy one ah? Wa lau! I tell you hor, if he don't move, I call my ah ma come whack his didi. Chop chop confirm she will come help me. Sure scare his balls off one I tell you.
Initiative: Oblivious to the rising anger of the crowd. Continues walking towards the front of the crowd. Like Moses parting the sea.

This is what we aim to achieve. Yes ultimate ignorance is the key to understanding The Way. Being oblivious is one of they key to being a step closer to becoming a fully fledged Study Camper.

The last... And the ultimate skill... Kiasu-ism.. I shall reveal the secrets to this, in the next post.



Stay tuned

No comments: